Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Red Lens for your spotlight and night time hunting

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Guest_augnmike_*

Guest_augnmike_*
  • Guests
For those who have been looking for a red lens for night hunting I just thought I would inform you that Optronics does sell the lens only. You can also buy the rubber bezel that the lens goes into and then slide that over your oatmeal tube (after building it up with duct tape) for the Q-beam light. Optronics probably has the world's worst customer service as it took three weeks for the package to arrive but it did in fact get here. If interested Google Optronics and go to their site for accessories. The bezels are not listed but they do have them, hope this helps.

Jeph S

Jeph S

I Poke Badgers.......do you?

• Predator Hunters
  • 3,102 posts
How much did the bezel and lens cost? I bought a spotlight at radio shack that came with the lens and bezel for $10.00. I figured heck, I only needed the lens and bezel, so the light was sorta free, LOL Good to know they sell them seperately though, I'll have to look them up
predatorwild.com field staff
SC3 Charter Member
Dog Hog Extraordinaire
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Guest_ski1824_*

Guest_ski1824_*
  • Guests
thank you both augnmike and Joseph, that's very helpful info, I'll check both places.

Guest_augnmike_*

Guest_augnmike_*
  • Guests
I don't think you can beat ten bucks so you did good. I just really like the lenses in the Optonics. Soreloser got me onto them after I was using another lens that was way too dark and really limited the distance I could have been getting.

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
I got three extra red lenses and bezels from Wal-Mart when I bought a rechargeable light from them. They has several broken lights and when I asked the guy at the counter he said they throw them away. I asked if I could have and extra and he said you can have those if you want them. I said thank you and hauled azz. :dancing_bananna:

Jeph S

Jeph S

• Predator Hunters
  • 3,102 posts

I don't think you can beat ten bucks so you did good. I just really like the lenses in the Optonics. Soreloser got me onto them after I was using another lens that was way too dark and really limited the distance I could have been getting.

Good point Mike, the lenses I have are a little dark. However, on a side note, Even though there are times I think the light is not getting out there far enough, I still see eyes come in from at least 500 yards out. But, I am gonna look for a little bit lighter lense...
SC3 Charter Member
Dog Hog Extraordinaire

Guest_augnmike_*

Guest_augnmike_*
  • Guests
I think 500 yards is awesome Jeph. Probably can't improve on that too much. I think though that the lighter ones do afford more opportunities to take shots under the red without going to white.

Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis

Big Dog

• Predator Hunters
  • 1,866 posts
Joseph??? Now that's funny...

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
I thought only his mother called him Joseph ....

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts
Mike, just out of curiousity, do you think it makes any differnce if one would use an amber light vs a red light? I think you mentioned having darker and lighter red lens and it made me wonder why not go to an amber lens? What is your opinion?

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts

Good point Mike, the lenses I have are a little dark. However, on a side note, Even though there are times I think the light is not getting out there far enough, I still see eyes come in from at least 500 yards out. But, I am gonna look for a little bit lighter lense...

Jehp, with that said why not use an amber light which sounds like the compromise between red(too dark) and white(too bright)?

Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis

Big Dog

• Predator Hunters
  • 1,866 posts
Jim,

We have called in critters and killed them with a White Light. Some are bothered by it and some are not. I think our new member Randy Watson sums it up best with the fact that they do not like having the area around them lit up so much. A bright light at night not only lights up there surroundings but also cast alot of unnatural shadows. Even a lighter colored red lense will cast a much softer beam than amber.

Jeph S

Jeph S

• Predator Hunters
  • 3,102 posts
SL's right on track. even with my dark lense, I do everything I can to keep the light off of them until the moment someones gonna shoot. I'll keep the animal in the halo of the light. I don't need to see the critter, just the eyes. All the animals I have ever "burned" with the white light have winced, turned away, or flat out left. And with the red light directly on them, they just don't seem to come all the way in...I'd rather have my light a little darker, than a little too bright. It seems a bit tough during nights with a bright moon, cause it almost seems like you can't even see the light, but when an animal does pop up, you can still see his eyes WAAAYYY out there.
SC3 Charter Member
Dog Hog Extraordinaire

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
A lot of guys feel that if they can't see the side of s hill being lit up with the spotlight that they won't be able to see any animals. This just isnt true. You'll be able to see eyes well beyond the range of light from your spotlight makes it possible for you to see the terrain and brush. Just keep that light swinging and look for those eyes shining back like reflectors and not the actual detail or out line of an animal.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
I need to get one of those 10 dollar Radio Shack lights of my own.

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts

Jim,

We have called in critters and killed them with a White Light. Some are bothered by it and some are not. I think our new member Randy Watson sums it up best with the fact that they do not like having the area around them lit up so much. A bright light at night not only lights up there surroundings but also cast alot of unnatural shadows. Even a lighter colored red lense will cast a much softer beam than amber.

That makes sense.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
So I just called Optronics to get a new lens and bevel to use on a Q-Beam I've got sitting here. I told them I lost them off of my Night Blaster and would like to buy replacements. Well, she is sending it to me no charge!