Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Fur tanning solution

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Guest_shoot-it_*

Guest_shoot-it_*
  • Guests
I have a recipe someone gave me.

( Sulphuric tan Liquor)

for every 1 gallon water
salt....1gt
sulphuric acid..........1 oz

submerge entire pelt in solution and let it stay for a week or more.
for small pelts not as long .then wash pelts after tanning he told me use borax.

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
Just remember to always add acid to water and not the other way around or you could be seriously injured.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Thanks. Let us know fohow it works

Jeph S

Jeph S

I Poke Badgers.......do you?

• Predator Hunters
  • 3,102 posts
how much is 1gt of salt?
predatorwild.com field staff
SC3 Charter Member
Dog Hog Extraordinaire
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Tim Lewis

Tim Lewis

Big Dog

• Predator Hunters
  • 1,866 posts

how much is 1gt of salt?

1gt = 1 GINORMOUS TUB

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
You're so smart !!!

Guest_gitemcoyote_*

Guest_gitemcoyote_*
  • Guests

I have a recipe someone gave me.

( Sulphuric tan Liquor)

for every 1 gallon water
salt....1gt
sulphuric acid..........1 oz

submerge entire pelt in solution and let it stay for a week or more.
for small pelts not as long .then wash pelts after tanning he told me use borax.

were can you buy sulfuric acid, last time i checked that stuff burns your skin and it should do the same to any animals skin, but you did you that it was 1 oz to a gallon so that is pretty dilute.

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
You can buy sulfuric acid from any scientific supply house most larger cities have them. Or look up chemical in the phone book and call some suppliers. Battery acid is sulfuric acid but the largest use of sulfuric acid is in fertilizers.

A very important WARNING about mixing acid with water. You should always add the acid to the water rather than the water to the acid. The hydration reaction of sulfuric acid is highly exothermic. If water is added to the concentrated sulfuric acid, it can boil and spit dangerously.

Guest_CoyoteHuntress_*

Guest_CoyoteHuntress_*
  • Guests
No offense but Id recomend a much safer solution. Also how do you plan on nuetralizing? AND borax will dry it out. Its used as a dry preservative. But it is not a tan.

If you want to tan a hide Id recomend getting a tan such as Lutan F, Liqua-tan, or ANY of the kits they sell...

There is more to tanning a hide than tossing it in a acid for a week. You must also wash it, degrease it (coyotes, fox etc), place it in a pickle, then place it in the tan watching the PH balance. THEN nuetralize it. And wash again..You should also add some lysol (liquid) into one of the solutions to prevent bacteria.

There are so many much safer methods of tanning out there.

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
I'd recommend the safer ones too. That's why I mentioned the part about being sure to add acid to water. It can be an explosive proposition and acid like sulfuric isn't very forgiving.