Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

hunting coyote in Utah

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Guest_Yateswell_*

Guest_Yateswell_*
  • Guests
Does anyone know what's the rule of hunting coyote in Utah? I looked up at Utah's department of fishing and hunting website but nowhere mentioned about coyote, thanks.

Guest_SpokaneSlayer_*

Guest_SpokaneSlayer_*
  • Guests
Fur Bearers regs

Page 3, left hand column under "Also Remember. It states coyotes may be hunted year round with out a license.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Thanks for the info. Simon, you planning a trip over there?

Guest_Yateswell_*

Guest_Yateswell_*
  • Guests

Fur Bearers regs

Page 3, left hand column under "Also Remember. It states coyotes may be hunted year round with out a license.

thanks for the info, spokaneslayer, I was looking at the same book but missed it, I guess time to get a good pair of glass

Heath, I'm planning a trip to Utah next month, if one comes cross, I may just try to shoot it.

Guest_SpokaneSlayer_*

Guest_SpokaneSlayer_*
  • Guests
Not a problem. Amazing what you can find when you're bored at work. Good luck!

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
i was up there last weekend. what area are you going to be hunting? or what is the closes town? anything by cedar city looks good.

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
If you're looking to hunt coyotes in Utah, no coyotes left in that State. Why do you think all the Utah predator callers hunt in Nevada....Save your money.

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts
Danny, why are there no coyotes in Utah? That's impossible. Ranchers have never been able to get rid of the coyote so how did it happen in Utah? That must be a generalization, right? I would think Utah would be a good place to hunt coyotes. Please explain. Thank-you. I'm so naive. Also, while I've got your attention, when is your next planned trip in SO CAL? July 22?

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
Jim T, it would cost me alot of money to go to California. $3+ for gas and a 10 mile per gallon 4x4 Dodge. If the deal goes through on the 22nd, I'll be there if I got to rob a bank.
Now, about coyote hunting in Utah...None left. All you got to do is ask any seasoned Utah coyote hunter and they well tell you what I just said. It's getting bad in Arizona and Nevada too, coyote populations are way down. Here in New Mexico it's really getting bad, they are thinking about putting a season on coyotes. The west is not what it use to be when it comes to coyote hunting. That's why I tell others to stay home and save there money. Think about it, why do you think it don't cost anything to hunt coyotes in Utah? There ain't any, thats why. Hard to pay for something that ain't there. :beer: :blink:

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts
Okay, let's focus on the positive and that is I will see you in SO CAL in July for the predator (calling) seminar. I'm planning on being there with many other club members.

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
i'm not here to burst anyones bubble but my bud russel Poe was just in arizona last week end and called 3 on 2 stands and i've seen a bunch in utah. my buddy earni lindly grew up in wellsville and went to college in southern utah. he maid money for dates by killing coyotes for farmers. he was up there during christmas and killed 12. i dont think its as bad as it sounds. it couldbe in some areas but not all over the state. its just the area you hunt.

Guest_Yateswell_*

Guest_Yateswell_*
  • Guests

i was up there last weekend. what area are you going to be hunting? or what is the closes town? anything by cedar city looks good.

around St. George, this is my first trip so I just test water and see what will happen, did you see/get any while you were there?

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
Youngster17 and Yateswell, I'm joking around and only kidding about Utah coyote hunting. I well say this much, now is not the best time to try and "call in coyotes" and I'm not kidding lol.
Wait tell this summer usually around Aug. when all the young ones are running around learning about life. Easy pickens time for the predator caller.
Younster17, don't worry busting bubbles., Just say what you think and have fun.

Guest_Yateswell_*

Guest_Yateswell_*
  • Guests

Youngster17 and Yateswell, I'm joking around and only kidding about Utah coyote hunting. I well say this much, now is not the best time to try and "call in coyotes" and I'm not kidding lol.
Wait tell this summer usually around Aug. when all the young ones are running around learning about life. Easy pickens time for the predator caller.
Younster17, don't worry busting bubbles., Just say what you think and have fun.

onecoyote, I just cancelled my hotel reservation, now I have to re-book the hotel and Iíll pass the cancellation fee to you.

I hear you, onecoyote, itís not the best time for coyote, Iím going to camping in Zion NP and will do a litter scouting while Iím in Utah, so when I go again in the full, I should be able to hit the targeted area, and if I lucky enough to see one or two this time, thatís bonus.

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts

i'm not here to burst anyones bubble but my bud russel Poe was just in arizona last week end and called 3 on 2 stands and i've seen a bunch in utah. my buddy earni lindly grew up in wellsville and went to college in southern utah. he maid money for dates by killing coyotes for farmers. he was up there during christmas and killed 12. i dont think its as bad as it sounds. it couldbe in some areas but not all over the state. its just the area you hunt.

Youngster, that's what I'm talking about. Danny, are you smoking Paiute weed or whatever that Indian herb is? Danny, I think he correct, it depends where you are hunting and that's applicable anywhere. I'm eternally optimistic too. Danny, you have to remember times have changed and environments have changed and hopefully for the better. Right? Maybe old dogs CAN learn new tricks. Always ready to tease you.

Youngster, that's what I'm talking about. Danny, are you smoking Paiute weed or whatever that Indian herb is? Danny, I think he correct, it depends where you are hunting and that's applicable anywhere. I'm eternally optimistic too. Danny, you have to remember times have changed and environments have changed and hopefully for the better. Right? Maybe old dogs CAN learn new tricks. Always ready to tease you.

Guest_Fish Dog_*

Guest_Fish Dog_*
  • Guests
Coyotes are where you find them. There are two eradication (maybe not the best term) programs in certain areas of Utah. Some of the sportsmans groups help to pay for helicoper and airplane hunting in areas that are having heavy depredation of fawns. The US Department of Agriculture has areas where they use M-44 poison cartridges to wipe out the coyotes in sheep grazing areas. The M-44 is a little cartridge driven in the ground. There is a cotton swap on top soaked in scent. When the coyote pulls on the cotton he gets a mouth full of cyanide, supposedly he is dead in seconds.

Some areas here are good hunting, mostly early and off the beaten path. We get a lot of pressure from in state and out of state hunters. There are a lot of "weekend varmint hunters" here. The gun laws are pretty lax, calls are cheap and coyote hunting seems to be the "in" thing to do.

Last winter in I spent a long day in what I thought to be perfect coyote habitat, rolling hills, light sagebrush, lots of rabbits, day old snow. I did not hear a howl, see a track or anything. As I was leaving the area I saw a sign on a post that I had missed coming in, that stated the coyotes in the area were being controlled by poison and warning that you need to keep your dogs under leash.

They could save some money if they would just let me know what areas they're worried about and give me access.

fdg

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
Jim T I don't smoke, I have a natural high. Maybe it has something to do with the new enviorment? :blink: lol J/K

Fish Dog You are right, the ADC ( U.S. Department of Agriculture ) uses posion, Airplanes, Traps and other means to get rid of every coyote they can. Eradication is a good term, because that's what they are trying to do.

You are right again, the popularity of predator calling has never seen days like this. 10 million coyote callers vs 10 million coyotes, my money is on the coyotes. Seems like everybody is a predator caller nowasays. We got "experts" that nobody ever heard of before making millions selling things to the predator callers, wish I would of thought of that lol.

Coyotes are where you find them? No kidding lol. It is a known fact that coyotes well pocket up in areas, if you find one of those areas you can collect alot of coyotes.

Fish Dog you are right again by saying "early". I have said it many times before that the best times to hunt coyotes is when the pups get out on there own, around Aug and Sept. They are dumb as rocks and easy to call.....Go get em

Guest_Moe_*

Guest_Moe_*
  • Guests
LOL! What Danny said....

I think Danny is referring to the fact that if you ask a Utah caller about the coyote hunting in Utah he'll tell you there aren't any. But I know better.

We used to hunt near St George. One of my partners had an uncle who lived in Gunlock and was a professional lion hunting guide by the name of Milt Holt. I once saw a tv show on this guy. He guaranteed a lion kill to his clients. What he did was tree a cat and then capture it alive and take it back to his place keeping it in a cage. He never showed this to his clients. About an hour before the hunt he'd let the cat go then pursue it with the dogs treeing the cat and then letting the client shoot it out of the tree. In some circles this is called unethical but the fact that he captured those cats by climbing up a tree with one brought him national attention. He always had at least 3 cats in the cages.

A large portion of the area around St George is the Shivwitz Indian Reservation and, of course, is where the best coyote hunting was. I don't think there are any restrictions but it would pay you to find out. Access was limited and I imagine it still is. Aerial coyote hunting would be difficult because of the terain so I imagine there are still quite a few coyotes around.

Danny's remark about everyone being a varmint caller these days rings true. Guys come up to me at the range and in short time tell me they hunt coyotes over in eastern Oregon. No wonder there are so many wised up animals over there.

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
Hey Moe, how come you understand me but these young guys don't? lol.

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts

Jim T I don't smoke, I have a natural high. Maybe it has something to do with the new enviorment? :blink: lol J/K

Fish Dog You are right, the ADC ( U.S. Department of Agriculture ) uses posion, Airplanes, Traps and other means to get rid of every coyote they can. Eradication is a good term, because that's what they are trying to do.

You are right again, the popularity of predator calling has never seen days like this. 10 million coyote callers vs 10 million coyotes, my money is on the coyotes. Seems like everybody is a predator caller nowasays. We got "experts" that nobody ever heard of before making millions selling things to the predator callers, wish I would of thought of that lol.

Coyotes are where you find them? No kidding lol. It is a known fact that coyotes well pocket up in areas, if you find one of those areas you can collect alot of coyotes.

Fish Dog you are right again by saying "early". I have said it many times before that the best times to hunt coyotes is when the pups get out on there own, around Aug and Sept. They are dumb as rocks and easy to call.....Go get em

Danny, thanks for making those clarifications. LOL! JimT. Look on the bright side, with 10 million of us we have strength in numbers.

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
when i was up there i didnt get a chance to call but zion looked great. i have family in st. grorge but i didnt get to stop. he only shoots jacks but i might give it a try in the summer.

Guest_Moe_*

Guest_Moe_*
  • Guests
That is some kind of beautiful country over that way. When I was working in Vegas I drove over by myself to do some calling. I got my first coyote in the snow. I shot him with a 222 and he ran a bit so I got to track him. I felt like Dan'l Boone. lol

I don't know, Danny. Maybe senile minds think alike. LMFAO!