Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

how high can a fox jump?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
my girlfriends dad has a bunch of birds and has been losing silky chickens and chicken. two mallards. he has a 6 ft cinder block wall. there are foot prints were it jumped up to the top of the wall and pulled its self up. not sure of what it is. so whats your guys take on it?

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Have any pictures of the prints? Coyotes, bobcats and fox could all clear that pretty easy.

Guest_CoyoteHuntress_*

Guest_CoyoteHuntress_*
  • Guests
Hot wire the top of the wall....

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
How high can a fox jump? Not as high as a bobcat. I don't ever recall reading anything on how high fox, bobcats or coyotes can jump.

I shot a bobcat in an open field one afternoon, it must have jumped 8' in the air and hit the ground dead. A bobcat could go over a 6' fence like it's not even there.

I would think a fox would have a problem jumping 6' unless it had a way to climb the fence.

A coyote may be able to do it, but I wouldn't bet money on it. I'd think the coyote is more apt to dig a hole under it. It Could also be a neighbors dog, or even a coon..........we need pictures of paw prints.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
A grey would just climb the thing if it wanted over. My money would be on a bobcat for jumping the highest.

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
the prints are pretty small and there smudged non of them are clear. the prints look to be canine but they are no bigger then a fox foot print. i personally think its a possum because i've nocked a possum off of a cinderblock wall and it scratched its way back up in a flash.

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
I see you live in or around Bakersfield. The place is full of kit fox, they have real small paws. Try setting out a live trap, that should catch the little critter so we all can find out what the heck it is?

Edited by onecoyote, 07 June 2007 - 09:16 AM.

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
we have one set up but i dont think its set up right. what should we use as baite. right now we have a whole chicken from the store in there. and do you have to hide the the trape under a rugg or somthing?

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
It can be set up almost anywhere but I've always had better luck along a wall or in the middle of a path if you can see where they've traveled. I also like canned cat food it works the best and catches everything. You don't need to cover it and in fact a rug or anything a human has touched will keep them away.

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
thanks will do and let you guys knoow.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Ever figure out what it was??

Guest_Youngster17_*

Guest_Youngster17_*
  • Guests
well i came back and steve went and got a trap big enough for a coyote and it also has a smaller cage on the inside that you can put in live baite. nothings been back sence he put it out there.