Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coyote hunting NV

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
I keep hearing from SoCal folks who scoot arcoss the border to chase after coyotes. Is it worth all the driving to head over there?

NVWalt

NVWalt

Barker

• Predator Hunters
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Kites, Hunting , Fly fishing, Reloading, Photography, Call making, Beautiful women.
You know what they say about the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
My buddy up in Susanville is always after me to get a California license to hunt coyotes with him in California because he gets more at home than what he gets when he comes over here to Nevada.
All I remember about California when I was a kid and started out calling was that there was no lack of them yellow eyed bastids where I grew up, Lompoc, and out at my aunts ranch, Tahachapi. In fact I called them wherever I went over there back then. Moved to Washington state in 67 , Longview, and called them up there also. The little rascals are everywhere.....Walt

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
SBF, if you're just going to Nevada to kill lots of coyotes I don't think it's worth the gas money. If you're going to enjoy yourself and check out the country side plus pick up a coyote or two it is worth it.

In no way are the numbers of coyotes what they use to be in Nevada. That's do to aerial gunning, poisoning and trapping by hunter paid government hunters aka ADC.
You also have alot of coyote education classes going on all year long in Nevada, predator hunters from around the country trying there luck in the wide open spaces of the Silver state. No matter what some of these guys say, Nevada coyotes get hit hard.

NVWalt

NVWalt

Barker

• Predator Hunters
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy, Kites, Hunting , Fly fishing, Reloading, Photography, Call making, Beautiful women.
Amen to that Danny,
I have hunted the coyotes in Nevada for really a long time and over the last five years I have just seen the popularity of calling them explode. Because you don't need a license to hunt them here, every Tom, Dick and Harry scoots over the border here to try out what they just learned off their Randy Anderson video. And to try out that latest state of the art e-caller. So, consequently we have a lot of educated coyotes that are extremely hard to fool in some places and sometimes not so hard to fool in other places.. Usually the years new crop of pups. But in areas where there are antelope and deer fawning , you will see the ADC guys trapping, snaring and sometimes the plane or helicopter. You also have the areas that the sheep herders graze and they get gunned very hard. My buddy from Susanville, Ron, and I have watched coyote duck for cover under the sage when a plane came by.
So if you do come over here and hunt , we got the coyotes but if you get a pile of older than 2 year olds you done good here.
Maybe this gas thing will be a good thing for me, Ha. Ha. Who wants to drive all the way over here to shoot some rubbed summer coyote for 300 dollars in fuel. Also the numbers of coyotes isn't anywhere near what they were even 5 years ago. ....Walt

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
Heath, that's a tough question...

It is very true that Nevada and even Arizona gets hit hard by both hunters and aerial gunners. But guess what? So does Calif... Ca F&G and private ranchers both use aerial gunners AND has LOTS of hunters to boot. I would bet a Huge cookie, a whole lot more hunters than any other state.

I talk to one So Ca F&G officer on occassion and his job is flying over private and public land. He will also tell you that Ca yotes get hit hard by both aerial gunners & hunters in his area. But also remember that coyote populations fluctuate from yr to yr. So we have good & bad yrs from that alone.

I also personally talked with several Ca hunters that do very well in Nevada & Arizona every year on public land! My partners and I have hunted both states with some success but would go back to Nevada in a New York minute. We shot "at" some HUGE yotes in Nevada. Hey, I never said we were good. LOL

Is it worth it? I guess that would be a personal question that only the individual hunter can answer. But, you could also spend that same money, or less, hunting Tejon next month? May be be a Bigger Bang for your buck when all is said and done?! Maybe! I'm leaning pretty hard to being there. Maybe I will see you?

Of course we are talking about if we do NOT have a private ranch or a (semi-secret), lightly hunted public piece of land to hunt...as we would not need to go through all this / keep looking etc. For various reasons it is getting tougher every year, Heath. Those good old days are truely gone.

Frank

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
p.s. I also totally agree with Danny & Walt... It is ideed nice to see different scenery once and awhile...

Also, Walt, the same thing has happened here in Ca within the last 4 or 5 yrs... The number of yote hunters have exploded probably due to the very reasons you mention. Almost completely ruinning my favorite honey hole. I Still hunt it, but is nothing like it was, even just a few short yrs ago. We even had one coyote nearly shot out right from under us by a drive by shooter. Boy, my one partner was really pissed too.

predator slayer

predator slayer

Barker

• Predator Hunters
  • 316 posts
Here is a coyote from last year, up in Reno. she was a nice dog. I think this was the good 'ol Thanksgiving trip. Hum.....what are we thankful for this year?...........

Posted Image

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
She seems to have a large hole in the side of her head! That thw 204 or 25 WSSM.

predator slayer

predator slayer

Barker

• Predator Hunters
  • 316 posts
Actully 22-250

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
Walt, did you ever try around Paradise Valley? There is a little dirt road the goes from Paradise Valley over the mountian to Orovada. Don't ever take that road all the way over, it's 5000' stright down of nasty switch backs lol. The top of that mountian is totally beautiful with meadows, aspens and even a few coyotes.

Gary in CA

Gary in CA

Howler

• Moderators
  • 562 posts
Cool.

NVWalt

NVWalt

Barker

• Predator Hunters
  • 257 posts
Danny,
I had a friend up in Paradise Valley that had a ranch and long line trapped up there for years. The old 4R ranch by the hot springs on the way over to Eden Valley. I have another friend that guides for coyotes up there also.. I like going up into the NF Little Humbolt country and the Owyhee country to hunt also. You must be meaning Hinky Summit..Beautiful up there in the Santa Rosa's. But the road heading down the west side is for sure a steep rascal isn't it. It is a very popular area to call with the Winammuca guys and Battle Mountain bunch. I am not joking about every little town in Nevada having a handful of coyote callers in it. And we can cover a lot of ground calling also. But then we still have a lot of ground to cover and not all of it has coyotes. Sometimes you luck into a pocket of coyotes and it's de-ja-vue.. There are badgers up there to call also.....Walt

Guest_onecoyote_*

Guest_onecoyote_*
  • Guests
Yep that's it, Hinky summit. I'll never go up that road again lol. Some years back I took two of my hunting buddys Rich and Frank up to the Rock Creek ranch road north of Battle Mt. When all the shooting was over we had 7 badgers and some coyotes. Rich shot the biggest badger I've ever seen, must have been 25 or 30 lbs. I've seen badgers over most of that country from central to northern Nevada.
You may be interested in this one, I knew a gal years back named Kathy and her hubby that took 7 called lions in Nevada, most of them came from Ralston and Monitor valleys.
On a club hunt my hunting partner and a new guy had a lion 100 yards away sitting on a hill and the new guy missed, that was on the road to Manhatten. Seen what looked to be another lion in that area a few years before and another in Monitor. That mountian range has lots of lions or it use to.