Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

best bullet for a 204 Ruger

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Guest_picturerock_*

Guest_picturerock_*
  • Guests
Whats the best bullet to use for a Ruger 204 in a 1 in 12 twist barrel, if the game is coyote? Range would be 100 to perhaps 200 yards. Thanks for any advice.

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
Well, my "favorite" 204 coyote bullet is the Nosler 40gr ballistic tip. However, after numerous testing of handloads it does not shoot as accurate as I like it to. Plenty accurate for hunting, but not for my likes. So, I now use the Sierra 39gr Blitz King due to its superior, more consistent accuracy.

The problem for me is, I have not slayed a coyote with the 39gr bullet and only one yote with the Nosler, which performed outstanding. Small hole in, large exit hole & dropped the dog where it stood. The same kind of awesome performance I am used to in my 223 & 22-250 with the Nosler bullet.

I do love that 204 caliber... Good Luck

Frank

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
The 35 grain Berger

Guest_DEERSLAM_*

Guest_DEERSLAM_*
  • Guests
Right now I'm getting the best groups with the 39gr BK. They have work pretty well on the yotes when I do my part. I'll be doing some more load work in the off season.

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
The very best ones for mine are the 39gr BK's too like Mike said. The ones that don't shoot well are the 40gr V-max. :yikes:

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
I wonder why that 40 grain V-Max doesn't shoot well? All of the other V-Max I've shot always shoot well.

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
I wonder the same thing, Heath... But even more so with the Nosler Ballistic tips as that is my bullet of choice for most of my rifles... Mostly!

In other words, every caliber I've ever shot with various Nosler bullet weights has shot outstanding, not only in my rifle but in numerous other rifles I've seen. My limited use with V-max's seemed about the same as the Noslers.

So what's up with the 204 anyhow? That is the only irritating thing I have about the 204. Other than that I LOVE the caliber, but I just am not a fan of Sierra bullets for hunting. Sorry, old past experiences are hard to die. I've seen their "game" bullets fail miserably & heard more than once that Sierra supposedly says their 39gr B.K's are not for predator but rather varmints. My hunch though is they should work fairly well but won't know 'til I kill a few dogs with them of course.

I've heard that Nosler is supposedly working on a 39gr ballistic tip, which I would test immediately if true. LOL

Frank

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Perhaps the twist rate isn't fast enough for the heavier bullets?