Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cottontail or jack rabbit distress hand calls?

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: jack rabbit or cottontail distress (18 member(s) have cast votes)

Cottontail or jack rabbit distress?

1. Cottontail (11 votes [61.11%])

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

2. Jack rabbit (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Neither (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Undecided (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Which is your favorite, the jack or the cotton? Why?

Jeph S

Jeph S

I Poke Badgers.......do you?

• Predator Hunters
  • 3,102 posts
I voted cottontail simply because it suits my calling style. I'm a big fan of bird distress sounds, or quivering rabbit distress sounds. The cottontail voice (open or closed reed) allows me to make a higher pitch variety of calls I like. but what the heck do I know. For me, it's all about my junk.
predatorwild.com field staff
SC3 Charter Member
Dog Hog Extraordinaire
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Cotton for me, too. I have been having luck calling in the bob kitties this year with the old THO that I keep in my truck. I too like the higher pitches I can make with it.

Inoculation

Inoculation

Barker

• PCOC
  • 329 posts
I vote for jack rabbit. I like them both, but I have had more success with the raspier/throatier sound of the jack. I haven't got into the bird distress sounds yet, but I do use the cottontail style for the quivering rabbit distress. Like I said, I like them both so I carry a few of each, but jack has been a better producer for me thus far.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Looks like a pretty close poll so far.

Guest_lonnyl_*

Guest_lonnyl_*
  • Guests
I like the cottontail distress call personally.....I like it because its a higher pitched call and a little more raspier then the jack rabbit call...although i have called them in with both

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
One of my hunting partners & I both prefer the cottontail, due to its much higher pitch sound. I also tend to believe the higher pitch has to be at least semi annoying to a coyote. And any high pitch sound seems to get most dogs attention very quickly. I doubt the same can be said for the deeper, raspier sounding Jack.

Frank

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
I think the cottontail brings in a wider variety of animals. But I've been using a jackrabbit the longest.

Guest_Field Mouse_*

Guest_Field Mouse_*
  • Guests
I like the cottontail for the variety, however for coyotes and brining them in from long distance I've had more fortune with the Jack rabbit.

ehd

ehd

Puppy Yapper

• Predator Hunters
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting and hog hunting
I like the higher pitch calls because they cut thru the damp air up here better , gives me more range..

btlsoom

btlsoom

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 31 posts
I use the jack as I am mainly in the upper desert. Not to may cottontails here. But...I do carry both.

R

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
You know, I don't know that I have a call that has a jack rabbit voice in it.

Guest_mavrick_*

Guest_mavrick_*
  • Guests
I carry both and several of each, so that I've got a little different sound with all the new callers moving here in the last few years.
I prefer the jack, and it's the first one I use.
I don't think the jack reaches as far for the first series, but, I do think I get more reaction from the first series. I do believe I get a faster moving yote, which is why I've gone to using a shotgun more. They are there, suddenly, and at a dead run.
I mostly hunt Nevada's high desert.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
I just bought a few more voices from Braz and am going to start carrying and using some jack rabbit distress sounds more in my calling sequences.

Guest_clampdaddy_*

Guest_clampdaddy_*
  • Guests
I've never had a cotton tail sounded hand call. I've always stuck with a Jack because they live practicley everywhere while the cottons can be hit and miss depending on where you're at.

Guest_ShooterJohn_*

Guest_ShooterJohn_*
  • Guests
It honestly doesn't matter if there are cottontails around or not. The sound of a baby crying will work just as well.

Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Grandpa

• Predator Hunters
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:calling predators, and predator call making

It honestly doesn't matter if there are cottontails around or not. The sound of a baby crying will work just as well.

John is correct. There are no jackrabbits around here, but I have called a few coyotes with jackrabbit squalls. I have come to believe that the coyotes around here like the high piched sounds better, so my vote goes to cottontail distress. I do believe that low pitched sounds carry further though.

Attached Files

Rich Cronk

Rich Cronk

Grandpa

• Predator Hunters
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:calling predators, and predator call making
The sound bite that I attached in above post is one version of my lip squeak. I have several versions that I load on my FoxPro's. Usin my own sounds is just fun. :)

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
Yeah, coyotes will answer many types of distress sounds whether the prey actually lives in the area or not.

Frank