Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Using an electronic caller to call predators

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
So how do you use your electronic caller to bring in those predators? It seems to me there are two schools of thought o how to use them; leave them running non-stop until they appear or to run them intermittently until predators appear. What method do you use? What advantages and disadvantages do each have?

Guest_Frank_*

Guest_Frank_*
  • Guests
Well, since I am of the "change things" up school, I will do both...

However, I would guess that I "normally" do not leave mine running too long at one time. I've never timed it but would guess perhaps 2 - 4 minutes at the longest? Now I am talking about distress sounds including puppy yipes & not howls of course. I see nothing wrong with just letting it run much longer than that either. Some will go for a half hr & if it works, hey why not?

The only problem I don't like with stopping the sound is, the coyote is also likely to stop thus giving him a second thought if he really wants to continue or not... and more likely for hang ups.

Frank

ACLakey

ACLakey

Barker

• Predator Hunters
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, Family, ATV's, Fly Fishing and Tying, Martial Arts
If I use the MP3 electronic caller I use a preset sequence and let it run. It has dead air in between distress and coyote sounds. Basically sounds like an injured rabbit, then as the sequence progresses it goes to coyote sounds, challenges and then pup in distress sounds. If I use hand calls I usually use distress sounds and interact with the dog once I see them. On the occasions when we have a Foxpro available we mostly use distress calls, but experiment with magpie and other sounds.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
This is a question I ask nearly everyone with whom I hunt. Gary does great in tight cover with a shotgun and I have had a few opportunities to hunt with him and observe. For calling them in close in tight cover the intermittent calling worked exceptionally well. On several occasions I watched coyotes come to Gary's caller like they were on a string. I can only surmise that due to the intermittent calling they couldn't pin point the distressed critter and headed to the last direction the heard the sound.

I've hunted with several other experienced people and it always appeared to me that the terrain and the animal being sought determined the calling method. Some animals need the constant calling to keep them interested while others just need a little reminder every few minutes.

Personally I like the intermittent calling method.

tawnoper

tawnoper

Howler

• Predator Hunters
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles
I usually keep things pretty simple... turn on caller, crank it up as loud as I think required and put most of my attention on looking for critters. I usually let the sound run continuous till I spot something. For the most part I haven't seen much difference between continuous and pauses, they both work. Coyotes can really pinpoint a sound from a ways out but I've seen lots of bobcats stop and survey when the sound is off, they seem to keep moving with continuous sound a bit better.

Sometimes it depends though...depends on wind, highway noise etc. On windy days lots of volume seems to help...although I never really thought of too loud as a really bad thing. But how many times have you been sitting on a stand and could hear a tractor that looked to be a mile away, or maybe heard a couple guys talking that were quite a ways from you. Some days road traffic is real loud, other days sitting in the same spot you can't hear a thing. Those still days when sound really travels usually doesn't require lots of volume... but usually loud is still good.

For tight terrain, shotgun type stuff I do things a bit different.

Edited by tawnoper, 12 January 2009 - 09:13 AM.

Guest_coyotetracker_*

Guest_coyotetracker_*
  • Guests
i keep it runnin non-stop. ive never really paused so i really couldnt tell you the advantages. just that calling nonstop seems to work just fine for me.