Welcome to Predator Wild
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coyote hunting in Missouri

- - - - -

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Well, the move to Missouri is nearly upon me. I am going to be leaving California where there are millions of acres of public land to hunt and going to Missouri where all the land is primarily private property. It's going to be a big change and will require a lot of work on my part to gain access to land to hunt. There is a little public land near me, but not much.

In order for me to hunt I am going to need to go introduce myself to some land owners. There are lots of farms in the area where I am moving. Many of those old farmers with cattle, goats or sheep just don't like coyotes much. That will hopefully make it easier to gain access to private property. As you can see, I am going to be minutes away from potential hunting spots out in the rural area of NW Missouri ! I look forward to next years predator hunting season.

Posted Image

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
I looked at the Missouri hunting regulations last night and was reminded they actually have a season for coyotes. They only shut down for a couple of months. I will pick up my license as soon as I get there and will have almost a month to get some hunting in before it shuts down.

Guest_indyotes_*

Guest_indyotes_*
  • Guests
i wish you luck out there, if its like here in indiana the little public ground we have here gets called hard later in the season so i try to slip in there when everyone is still in deer mode

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts
Thanks. To be honest, I don't know how many other predator hunters are in the area. The hunting may be good, or it may absolutely bite. Soon enough I should know for certain. :speed-banana:

lepcur

lepcur

Puppy Yapper

• Predator Hunters
  • 67 posts
Good luck out there Heath, I know you'll like the country as well as the folks that live there. Mike

Lonehowl

Lonehowl

Puppy Yapper

• Predator Hunters
  • 121 posts
Good luck Heath! Looks like a good place..well..anywhere except Ca is a good place.

cre10

cre10

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 18 posts
There should be a lot of yotes in that area. I think on the bright side is that there aren't too many dedicated predator hunters. Mostly yotes are shot on during deer season.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

There should be a lot of yotes in that area. I think on the bright side is that there aren't too many dedicated predator hunters. Mostly yotes are shot on during deer season.

I'm hopeful there won't be many predator hunters in the area. One of my MO hunting buddies has a 12 year old son who's very excited about predator hunting. I've sent a few of my hunting videos to them. Hopefully we can interest him in hunting to help another generation continue to further our passion to others.

cre10

cre10

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 18 posts

I'm hopeful there won't be many predator hunters in the area. One of my MO hunting buddies has a 12 year old son who's very excited about predator hunting. I've sent a few of my hunting videos to them. Hopefully we can interest him in hunting to help another generation continue to further our passion to others.

You got a Youtube account with some of your videos? The mountain lion in your profile pics looking through the house windows, please do tell the story behind that!

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

You got a Youtube account with some of your videos? The mountain lion in your profile pics looking through the house windows, please do tell the story behind that!

I do. They're HERE and HERE.

I'm not certain what the actual story is behind the lion photo's. I received them by e-mail claiming some guy snapped them after seeing his dog, that was sitting in the living room, was being eyed like a asty snack.

Guest_Abbott_*

Guest_Abbott_*
  • Guests
What part of MO r u going to? I am orginally from IL now I am in TX.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

What part of MO r u going to? I am orginally from IL now I am in TX.

I am in the NW. North from Kansas City and east from St Joseph.

Guest_FurSeeker_*

Guest_FurSeeker_*
  • Guests
You look like you're in the middle of some good coyote territory there. The regulation change will kind of be a pain though I imagine. I cannot believe that there is a season for coyotes in some parts of the country.

ksukid

ksukid

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 13 posts
how far east of St. Joseph are you? i'm about 45 minutes west of there

Guest_matahone_*

Guest_matahone_*
  • Guests
Looks like good ground, may even be some cats around....good luck

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

how far east of St. Joseph are you? i'm about 45 minutes west of there

I am 30 minutes east on 36. Near Cameron, if you know where that is located.

ksukid

ksukid

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 13 posts

Ya i know where thats at. Your alittle over 2 hours away from me.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

Ya i know where thats at. Your alittle over 2 hours away from me.

Do you hunt the KS contests?

ksukid

ksukid

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 13 posts

Do you hunt the KS contests?

No i havent. This is the first year that i've ever actaully hunted coyotes and nothing else at the same time. I'm just learning to call them in.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

No i havent. This is the first year that i've ever actaully hunted coyotes and nothing else at the same time. I'm just learning to call them in.

Me either. But I might go next year just to meet the folks and see how the process goes.

ksukid

ksukid

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 13 posts

Me either. But I might go next year just to meet the folks and see how the process goes.

Ya that would be fun to meet people and see how everything goes. Maybe one day i'll be able to be in it.

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

Ya that would be fun to meet people and see how everything goes. Maybe one day i'll be able to be in it.

I just learned about a hunt this weekend in Bethany, MO.

ksukid

ksukid

Varmint

• Predator Hunters
  • 13 posts

I just learned about a hunt this weekend in Bethany, MO.

Looks fun. Wish I didnt have 2 test next week or I would be thinking about running up there and seeing how things go.

Guest_Olympus_*

Guest_Olympus_*
  • Guests
Newbie here and just stumbled onto this thread. I am fairly new resident to the Kansas City area. I've lived my whole life in rural southeast Missouri and this is my first time living in a big city. Since I don't have many hobbies up here, I have been wanting to get into coyote hunting. I do all kinds of other hunting, just never had time in the past. Now I do. I saw that you live close to Cameron, MO. This past fall I started deer hunting up there on some private property through a guy I used to work with. Now I'm thinking about trying my hand at coyotes up there. Are you having any luck with them?

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

Newbie here and just stumbled onto this thread. I am fairly new resident to the Kansas City area. I've lived my whole life in rural southeast Missouri and this is my first time living in a big city. Since I don't have many hobbies up here, I have been wanting to get into coyote hunting. I do all kinds of other hunting, just never had time in the past. Now I do. I saw that you live close to Cameron, MO. This past fall I started deer hunting up there on some private property through a guy I used to work with. Now I'm thinking about trying my hand at coyotes up there. Are you having any luck with them?

Welcome to the forum and NW Missouri. Yes, there is good coyote hunting up here. You will find a few difficulties in hunting them depending on the season and what the land is used for. If you hunt on CRP the grass is going to be tall and near impossible to spot a coyote depending on the time of year. Crop and grass land present a similar challenge but allows a hunting window when the grass is cut or the crops are taken out. If you're hunting CRP sitting up in your tree stand would give you the height needed to hopefully spot a coyotes head bobbing above the top of the grass on its approach.

moladihunter

moladihunter

Puppy Yapper

• Predator Hunters
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing and wildlife photography

Just seen this thread. I am just about an hour north of you. We have some guys from down your way that enter in the calling contest up here. One of the guys that placed in the 5th annual event has a taxidermy shop in Cameron.

JimT

JimT

Big Dog

• PCOC
  • 2,006 posts
Hopefully with some productive networking you'll find successful areas to call. Miss CA yet?

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

• Admins
  • 17,462 posts

Just seen this thread. I am just about an hour north of you. We have some guys from down your way that enter in the calling contest up here. One of the guys that placed in the 5th annual event has a taxidermy shop in Cameron.

I've seen his truck around town. Hopefully next year I'll have access to enough land around here to be able to enter the contest.

Miss CA yet?

Some of the people, yes. All of the politics, high taxes, and anti gun and hunting groups are things I will never miss.